Time needed: 2 minutes.
Use the following steps to draw a line through text in Microsoft Outlook.
- Open Outlook and start a new email.
You could also reply to or forward an email in your inbox.
- Select the text that you want to strikethrough.
If you don’t have any text yet, then clicking the strikethrough button will cause future text to have a line drawn through it.
- Choose the “Format Text” tab at the top of the window.
In earlier versions of Outlook this might just say “Format” instead of “Format Text.”
- Click the “Strikethrough” button in the “Font” section of the ribbon.
It’s the button that says “ab” and has a line through it. Like this –
Your text should now look something like the image below. Note that my text in the picture below has a gray box around it because it’s still selected. Adding strikethrough in Outlook only adds the line through the text.
The steps and screenshots above were created using Microsoft Outlook for Office 365. However, these same steps will also work in other versions of Outlook such as Outlook 2010, 2013, or 2016.
Another way to use strikethrough in Outlook is via the Font dialog box.
Step 1: Select the text to strikethrough.
Step 2: Click the small Font button at the bottom-right corner of the Basic Text section on the Message tab.
Step 3: Check the box to the left of Strikethrough, then click OK.
Additional Information on Strikethrough in Outlook
- Alternatively you could click the strikethrough button before you start typing, which will make any text that you type after it have a line drawn through it.
- Either of the methods outline above will also let you remove strikethrough from text as well.
- This guide assumes that you are writing in the HTML or Rich Text format for your emails. If you are in Plain Text mode then you won’t be able to add strikethrough. Additionally, if you switch to Plain Text, then any existing strikethrough will be removed.
- Strikethrough formatting, as well as any other formatting, can also be removed using the Clear Formatting button found in the Basic Text section on the Message tab.
- You can’t apply strikethrough to your email subject. It can only be added to content in the email body.
Disclaimer: Most of the pages on the internet include affiliate links, including some on this site.