Autocorrect is helpful for fixing misspellings that occur when you type with the keyboard on your iPhone, but not everyone wants or needs the autocorrect feature on their device. In many cases it can actually do more harm than good to the thought that you were trying to express, and the time that you spend fixing an autocorrection may outweigh the benefits that you gain from its use over time.
Autocorrect is not a feature that you need to live with on your iPhone, and you can turn it off if you do not want or need it. Our guide below will show you how to find the auto-correction setting on the iPhone so that you can disable it for the device keyboard.
Disabling the Auto-Correct Feature in iOS 9
The steps in this article were performed on an iPhone 6 Plus, in iOS 9. Following these steps will stop the behavior on your iPhone where a misspelled or unfamiliar word is replaced by one that the iPhone thinks you were trying to type. This is just one of many ways that you can customize the behavior of your iPhone’s keyboard, for example, you can hide the gray bar of suggestions above your keyboard.
If you don’t want to turn off autocorrect entirely, then you might instead prefer to fix certain words that are frequently autocorrected. Learn how to use shortcuts on your iPhone to force the device to learn certain words.
- Open the Settings menu.
- Scroll down and select the General option.
- Scroll down and tap the Keyboard button.
- Tap the button to the right of Auto-Correction to turn it off. You will know that the autocorrect feature is turned off on your iPhone when there is no green shading around the button, and the button is in the left position. Autocorrect is turned off in the picture below.
You can use a very similar method if you want to turn spell check on or off in iOS 9.
- How to delete apps on an iPhone 8
- How to check an iTunes gift card balance on an iPhone
- What is a badge app icon on an iPhone?
- How to make your iPhone louder
Disclaimer: Most of the pages on the internet include affiliate links, including some on this site.