The iPad is a great device for playing games, reading, or watching videos, but it can also be a good choice when you want to get some work done.
If you use an RCN email, then you may have been checking it in a Web browser like Safari, or you might have been using the Outlook application on your computer.
Luckily you are able to set up RCN.com email on your iPad by following the steps in our tutorial below.
How to Add RCN.com Email to Your Apple iPad
- Open the Settings app.
- Choose the Mail option.
- Select Accounts.
- Touch the Add Account button.
- Select Other.
- Tap Add Mail Account.
- Enter your Name, Email address, and password, then tap Next.
- Choose the IMAP tab and fill in all the details, then tap Next.
- Touch Continue, then Save.
Our guide continues below with additional information on how to set up RCN.com email on iPad, including pictures of these steps.
Important RCN Account Information You May Need
- Incoming Mail Server Host Name – imap.rcn.com or pop.rcn.com
- Outgoing Mail Server Host Name – smtp.rcn.com
- User Name – This should be your full RCN email address, including the @rcn.com part
- Password – This is just your normal RCN email password
- Use SSL – Should be set to On. This can also be turned off, but you will need to use one of the Standard options below instead of SSL.
- Incoming IMAP Mail Server (If you chose the IMAP option during setup (recommended) then use this)
- Standard: imap.rcn.com (Port 143)
- SSL: imap.rcn.com – (Port 993) Note: SSL is a security feature that you may elect to use. However, you can use RCN mail without SSL.
- Incoming POP Mail Server (If you chose the POP option during setup, then use this)
- Standard: pop.rcn.com – (Port 110)
- SSL: pop.rcn.com – (Port 995) Note: SSL is a security feature that you may elect to use. However, you can use RCN mail without SSL.
- Outgoing SMTP Mail Server (This is the information you need to be able to send mail from the device)
- Regardless of the option you choose below, you will need to enable Authentication.
- smtp.rcn.com (Port 25)
- smtp.rcn.com alternate port- (Port 587) RCN has enabled TLS with SMTP on port 587.
- Mail Login Format
- email@example.com ( passwords are case sensitive)
If you have RCN as an Internet provider, then you receive an RCN email account that you can use freely.
These accounts include the extension “@rcn.com” and can be accessed through a Web browser at RCN.com.
However, these email addresses are also compatible with POP3 programs, such as Microsoft Outlook 2010 or Mozilla Thunderbird.
This means that you can configure your RCN email address on mobile devices, such as the iPad, iPhone, or any Android device.
If you decide to set up your RCN email address on your iPad, the process is fairly straightforward, and you will be able to send and receive messages on the iPad within minutes of beginning the setup procedure.
Related: Our RCN webmail guide for the iPhone will show you how to add your email account to that device, too.
How to Configure Your RCN Email Address on Your iPad’s Mail Program (Guide with Pictures)
Setting up your RCN email on your iPad can be done entirely from any iPad that is connected to the Internet. This can either be through a Wi-Fi connection or a 3G connection, depending upon the iPad model that you have.
Step 1: Begin the setup process by touching the Settings icon on your iPad.
Step 2: Touch the Mail, Contacts, Calendars option at the left side of the screen, then touch Add Account at the center of the screen.
Step 3: Touch Other at the bottom of the screen, then touch Add Mail Account at the top of the screen.
Step 4: Type the name that you want to display on sent messages into the Name field, type your RCN email address into the Email field, type your RCN email password into the Password field, then type a description for the email address into the Description field.
Now that you know how to set up an RCN email address on your iPad, you can start to send and receive messages from that account on the tablet.
If you have many email accounts configured on your iPad, then I recommend labeling it something simple, such as “RCN” or “My RCN Email.” Tap the Next button at the top of the window when you have finished.
It will take your iPad a few seconds to verify your account information, and then your account will be ready and active on your device.
You can further configure your account by reopening the Settings menu, then tapping Mail, Contacts, Calendars ar the left side of the screen again.
You can choose how many messages to display under the Mail section at the bottom of the screen, as well as choosing other options, such as Font settings and Signature settings.
The RCN email account messages can be viewed by touching the Mail icon on your iPad, then selecting the RCN account from the list of accounts at the left side of the screen.
If you are unsure of your account password but have saved it to your computer’s Google Chrome web browser, you can use the following techniques to find it.
How to Obtain Access to My Passwords in Chrome
When it comes to passwords, the Google Chrome desktop Web browser has a password manager tool that can come in handy.
Learn more about Google Chrome’s my passwords list by reading this tutorial.
The steps below will assist you in locating your Google Chrome saved passwords.
- Open the Chrome browser.
- Click the three dots icon in the upper right corner of the window.
- Choose Settings from the dropdown menu.
- Select the Autofill option in the left column.
- Click on Password Manager.
- Press the eye button to see the corresponding password.
Now that you know where to access your list of stored Google Chrome passwords, you may use this strategy to retrieve other passwords you might need on other devices.
The RCN webmail login used to be found at www.rcn.com/webmail, where you could just use your email address and Web password online to sign into your account.
However, since RCN is now called “Astound” the service address for their website is a little different.
Now, if you want to sign into your RCN account in a Web browser, then you need to go to this link – https://www.astound.com/support/email/ and access that data from there.
Matthew Burleigh has been writing tech tutorials since 2008. His writing has appeared on dozens of different websites and been read over 50 million times.
After receiving his Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Computer Science he spent several years working in IT management for small businesses. However, he now works full time writing content online and creating websites.
His main writing topics include iPhones, Microsoft Office, Google Apps, Android, and Photoshop, but he has also written about many other tech topics as well.