Microsoft Publisher is helpful when you need to create a document and the tools and layout in Microsoft Word are not ideally suited for your needs.
Files created in Publisher 2013 carry the .pub file type, and can be opened by other users that have access to the Publisher application. But not everyone uses Publisher, so you may find that people are unable to open the documents that you create.
Fortunately, you can convert a .pub file to a PDF directly within Publisher 2013. Our guide below will show you the steps required to create a PDF of your file that is much more accessible to a wider range of potential readers.
How to Save a Publisher Document as a PDF in Publisher 2013
The steps in this article will show you how to convert a file that is open in Microsoft Publisher (typically of the .pub file type) to a PDF. This will result in two files; the original .pub file, and the .pdf copy of that same document. After you have completed the conversion, these will be two separate files. If you make a change to the original .pub file in Publisher, then you will need to convert it to a .pdf document again.
- Open your .pub file in Publisher 2013.
- Click the File tab at the top-left corner of the window.
- Click Save As in the column at the left side of the window.
- Select the location where you would like to save the PDF.
- Click the drop-down menu to the right of Save as type, then click the PDF option.
- Click the Options button at the bottom of the window if you want to specify any settings concerning the output of the PDF.
- Adjust any of the options on this menu based on your document preferences, then click the OK button.
- Click the Save button at the bottom of the window to create the PDF copy of the file.
Now that you know how to convert a Publisher file to a PDF file in Publisher 2013, you can turn it into a file type that is much more common.
Would you prefer that other people using Publisher not be able to see which files you have worked on recently? You can adjust the number of recent documents in Publisher 2013 to reduce, increase, or completely remove the recent documents shown in the program.
Matthew Burleigh has been writing tech tutorials since 2008. His writing has appeared on dozens of different websites and been read over 50 million times.
After receiving his Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Computer Science he spent several years working in IT management for small businesses. However, he now works full time writing content online and creating websites.
His main writing topics include iPhones, Microsoft Office, Google Apps, Android, and Photoshop, but he has also written about many other tech topics as well.