Footnotes are a useful way to provide clarification or additional information about something you have referenced. Therefore it can be useful for many writers to know how to make a footnote in Microsoft Word 2016.
Luckily it’s a relatively common feature for a number of different document types, so Microsoft has made the process for creating footnotes fairly straightforward.
Our guide below is going to show you how to select a location in your document where you want the footnote to appear, insert the footnote, then enter the text for it.
Use these steps to make a footnote in Microsoft Word.
- Open the document.
- Click at the point in the document where the footnote reference number should go.
- Select the “References” tab at the top of the window.
- Click the “Insert Footnote” button.
- Type the footnote text to appear at the bottom of the page.
The steps above were performed in Microsoft Word for Office 365, but also work in most other versions of Microsoft Word, including Word 2010, Word 2013 and Word 2016.
You can also insert a footnote by pressing Alt + Ctrl + F on your keyboard.
Footnotes can be deleted by selecting the footnote reference number in the document, then pressing the Delete key on your keyboard.
You can use the Show Notes button on the References tab to view your footnotes on your pages.
There is a small Footnote & Endnote button at the bottom-right of the Footnotes section on the References tab. If you click that button it will open the menu below, where you can make changes to your footnote settings.
An endnote is similar to a footnote, with the differences being that the endnotes are placed at the end of the document instead of the bottom of the page, and that endnotes are indicated by roman numerals instead of regular numbers.
- How to insert a check mark in Microsoft Word
- How to do small caps in Microsoft Word
- How to center text in Microsoft Word
- How to merge cells in Microsoft Word tables
- How to insert a square root symbol in Microsoft Word
Disclaimer: Most of the pages on the internet include affiliate links, including some on this site.